Thursday, October 4, 2007

Dan Kanemoto's, Letter From the Western Front

Dan Kanemoto’s, Letter From the Western Front was an amazing alternative video. I loved the creativity behind it. I’ve never seen a film created strictly from paintings. It really brought the two mediums together. The emotion and style of oil painting combined with graphic animation brought another level of emotion to the film.

I thought the narration was a bit weak however. I understand that he is an accomplished writer, but I thought his voice didn’t fit the piece. It was great writing, and it held me throughout the film, but his voice didn’t sound like he was in the middle of a war. The direction of the artwork was also very well done, and he incorporated the special effects and lighting on the paintings.

To me, it’s work like this that inspires the independent artist in me. It shows that there are alternative mediums out there that are just as powerful as the mainstream models.

No comments: