Thursday, October 4, 2007

Chess Pieces

The documentary on Chess Pieces was a bit of a struggle, although I thought the painting itself was fantastic. I loved the fusion of art and music, I just really wanted to hear the music from the painting! They kept dancing around the music that is within the painting, but we never got to hear it. I thought it would have helped me so much to be able to fully understand the artwork.

The lady that came in to discuss the painting was very entertaining, there was a juxtaposition with the man who was very rigid and nervous to the woman who was over the top excited about the painting with the “Oh! Look, I just found his name in the music notation!” (as if it was a revolution on the spot). The filmmaking was poor, it could have used some more close-ups of the painting and the set and lighting was very bland. I am glad to have been able to be exposed to the artwork however. It was a beautiful piece and I would like to see what else he created.

No comments: