Sunday, November 11, 2007

Scratch

The documentary, Scratch, was very entertaining, with lots of quick cuts and editing techniques. These effects served to reflect the nature of the music it was telling about, often quickly cutting back a few frames and replaying them over again like a DJ would do with a record. What I think is interesting is how it is a precursor to the new DJ technology with DJs scratching live music videos.

I really enjoyed watching this documentary because it helped me understand the world of hip-hop a little better, like the one guy distinguishing the difference between hip-hop and rap. I didn’t understand how all the sub-cultures worked with each other, like the relationships between the DJ and the MC, and break-dancing. I liked seeing how some of the DJs emerged, playing in their garages and kitchens at first. I’m not sure who the guy was, but there was some studio recording guy who was talking about outer space and alien music, it was all a bit of a stretch I think, but entertaining nonetheless.

No comments: